Wow! What a difference! We are starting our third week of this new schedule and I am amazed at how well Amy is doing. She and I had agreed that the schedule that is posted on our whiteboard would be followed each day. We both agreed that if we were still in our pj's at 9:00, when classes start, that we would have to stay in our pj's until classes ended. There were other agreements as well, such as lunch breaks, PE, etc.
So, the first week she tested out the schedule and me as well to see if the boundaries were in place. One morning she stayed in her pj's and when 9:00 rolled around I reminded her of our agreement and she stayed in her pj's until her first break. She then chose to use her free time to shower and get dressed. The second test came a day later. She was invited to a soccer game after school and was super excited about it. Well, 9:00 rolled around again and even though she was dressed, she was still upstairs in her room listening to her music. So, when she sauntered down at 9:30 I reminded her of our agreement again and asked if she wanted to work later and miss her soccer game or work through part of her lunch. She was amazed that I was being this strict, but I think she was also really glad that I was not caving. So she worked through her lunch and was a happy camper.
Her grades are improving in Biology and Algebra and she just seems more content.
I was talking to my husband about it and he said that he needed alot of boundaries when he was a teen and that he loved schedules. So maybe she takes after her dad. I hate shedules. But I am finding that they are a wonderful tool to use!
No comments:
Post a Comment